“We have been taught to fear the very things that have the potential to set us free”
- Name: Alok Vaid-Menon
- Born: July 1, 1991
- From: College Station, Texas
- Pronouns: They/them
- Contribution/Impact: ALOK
- Occupation: Writer
- Known For: Beyond the Gender Binary and other works
- Awards: Live Works Performance Act Award in 2017, LogoTV Pride 30 in 2018, OUT Magazine 100 in 2019
- Interesting Fact: Vaid-Menon created #degenderfashion. A movement about de–gendering fashion and beauty standards and the fashion and beauty industries.
Alok Vaid-Menon goes by they/ them pronouns and is known for being a writer. Their latest book, Beyond the Gender Binary, came out in 2020. Vaid-Menon also popularized and created #degenderfashion which is a movement about de-gendering fashion and beauty standards and the fashion and beauty industries. Their latest reward was from OUT Magazine receiving the OUT Magazine 100 back in 2019.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.