Instructions for filing Act 34 and 151 Background Checks:
One-time event volunteers are not currently required to complete background checks. Otherwise, ALL ASI Volunteers and Interns are required to submit Act 34 and 151 clearances. FBI Fingerprint clearances are required by Philadelphia Recreation Centers from any volunteers who have not lived in PA for 10 consecutive years.
- Act 34 Criminal Background Check (Free for Volunteers)
- Go to https://epatch.pa.gov/home and click on New Volunteer Record Check.
- Complete the form online.
- Save the certificate as a PDF and print it.
- Email the PDF certificate with your application to email@example.com and bring the printout to your first training meeting.
- Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance (Free for Volunteers)
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- Click on “Create Individual Account” tab.
- Read through the general information and click next.
- Enter the Keystone ID. This is a username/ID that you select:
It must be 6 to 10 characters long, should contain mostly letters, can contain up to 5 numbers, may NOT contain special characters- example: jsmith123.
- Complete the Form:
First name, last name, date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy), current email, confirm email, security questions 1, 2, and 3 + answers, authentication question and answer
- Click Finish
- Check your email for (2) emails from the state. One will contain confirmation of the Keystone ID (username/ID). The second will contain the state issued password. (Be sure to copy, or write it down.)
- Return to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- Click on “Individual Login.”
- Keystone Key: enter state confirmed Keystone ID (username/ID) and paste or insert state issued password.
- Follow steps to set a new password- personal to you
- New password: must be at least 8 characters, contain at least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter, at least one number, and at least one special character (such as @$%/^&*), do not include username, first name, or last name
- Click submit
- Return to “Individual Login.”
- Read through “My Child Welfare Account Terms & Conditions,” then click Next.
- Read through “Learn More,” then click Continue.
- Click “Create Clearance Application.”
- Read through “Getting Started,” then click Begin.
- Complete the form and submit it.
- Wait a few days, then check your email for notification of clearance. (Also watch for the emai in your spam or junk folder.)
- Print the certificate and carry a copy while teaching (in person).
- Email a PDF of the certificate with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and bring the original to your first training meeting.
- Volunteers who have NOT lived in Pennsylvania for 10 consecutive years must submit an FBI – Identity History Check to work (in person) in Philadelphia Recreation Centers.
Follow the instructions at this link to arrange an appointment for fingerprinting and to complete the forms required to receive your FBI – Identity History Check.
See below directions in PDF format to complete the background checks to become a volunteer with Art Sphere, Inc.!