“Thousands of people can say the same thing without it having the same impact.”
- Name: Laetitia Ky
- Born: 1997
- From: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- Pronouns: She/Her
- Contribution/Impact: Laetitia is a polyvalent artist, making art with her hair and having a career as a model while also using her platform to educate about black peoples and women’s rights.
- Occupation: Artist
- Interesting Facts: She is her own canvas, using her hair to make art.
- Known For: Ky’s Instagram page
- Awards: On the Rise Côte d’Ivoire, Prix Jeunesse Francophone 3535, Selected by Paper magazine as one of the top ‘100 People Taking Over 2019’
- Interesting Fact: She is her own canvas, using her hair to make art.
Although we do not know much about Ky’s childhood, she has proven herself to be a very successful young adult from the Côte D’Ivoire. Laetitia has a Business Administration degree from Institut National Polytechnique Félix Houphouët-Boigny in Yamoussoukro, but soon after graduating realized that she wanted to work in art and design. She makes sculptures with her hair, wire, and dreads, called the Ky Concept. She also launched her fashion brand Kystroy which aims to be inclusive and body positive. Ky is also an avid activist for the #MeToo movement and uses her platform to talk about issues of women’s rights.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.