Project Title: Learning new songs
Description: Students learn what a music note and pitch is, can make sound base on the note.
Grade level or Target Age Range: Elementary School
Vocabulary: Pitch, Voice, note, key, rythme
Anticipatory Set: Discussion briefly about music, what it is made up of .
Demo/Directions: (Roughly plan amount of time it takes to do each procedure)
1. Get the students to sit in a round table and each say their names continuously with different pitches.
2. Continue discussion; briefly talk about monks. Make it relevant to the students by talking about how we can use mandalas to understand simple mathematical concepts like symmetry and to practice “mindfulness. Does anyone know what that means?” (6 minutes)
3. Verbally walk kids through starting their mandala. Start with a center circle and walk them through branching petals to get them started. This will help them grasp the concept of what we’re doing. Allow them to continue on their own to create something unique. (until the end of class)
Discussion: Math OR mindfulness-have both prepared and choose based on what the kids are more interested in.
- What shapes do you see?
- How does using a graph help us with making a mandala?
- How did you feel before we started? What impact did making a mandala have?
- Was this activity peaceful? Do you feel calm working on it?
Instructional Reflection: Which instructional tools or strategies interested or helped these students learn? What additional techniques, tools or materials could be used to better support student learning? What adaptations could be made to this lesson for students with different needs levels or skill sets?
On a scale of 1-5, how stressed do you feel (start & end)