Your Destination: (objectives)
- Based off of Kara Walker’s work with silhouettes, the students will create 5 silhouettes of aspects that they feel make up their identity. The silhouettes are going to be a basic outline of different symbols or drawings.
travel kit: (materials)r
- Dark paper, light paper, scissors, pencil, glue.
on the path
- On a piece of paper or in your sketch book, take 10 mins and think about 5 different aspects that make up your identity. This can be gender, family, favorite actives, culture, religion.
- Taking your light paper, start to draw out the silhouettes of these images, these can be simple symbols or caricatures.
- Cut the images out of your light paper and glue them to the dark paper.
group tour (how larger class can be involved as group projects)
- Discuss Kara Walker’s artwork on identity. How she includes it in her work and what aspects of identity she focuses on.
extend your journey
- Create a silhouette of your face, make a poem about your identity to paste inside of it.
learn new vocabulary
- Silhouette, identity.
discover … : (website links)