- Feddling Knife
- Measuring Sticks
- Knead clay several times to get out air bubbles.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the clay out to about 1/8 an inch thick (we used 1/8th inch dowel rods to measure against)
- Place the child’s hand on the clay with fingers spread apart, and press the hand into the clay to make an imprint
- The teacher can then cut hand shape out. (Older students can do this themselves.)
- With a fettling knife, make a beak and wattles on the thumb so that it looks like a turkey
- Roll four small balls out with remaining clay.
- Projects should then be fired in the kiln (by the teacher
- Once projects are fired students can glaze the trivet.
- Glaze color suggestions: brown, orange, yellow
- The teacher will fire again.
The project is now complete! Turkey trivets are great for practical use or as a holiday gift!