Title/Description: Clay Containers
Level: Elementary School
Duration: Four 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: Chinese ceramics
Goals and Objectives: To introduce sculpting techniques
Vocabulary: Positive and negative space, carving additive and subtractive methods, coils, pinch pots, slab, scraffito
Materials: Clay, carving tools, wire and washer clay cutting tools, sponges, water containers, toothbrushes, spray bottle
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of Chinese ceramics.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate pinch pot: making ball, then putting thumb through center and gently pinching around edges, working the clay thinner from the bottom up.
- Students decorate with stamps.
- Have students wedge clay.
- Demonstrate first coil-making technique to make container.
- Demonstrate second coil-making technique using ready-made bowl form to inlay coils.
- Make sure to spray clay and wrap any unfinished work well.
- Have students wedge clay, use rolling pin, and trace and cut out hand.
- Demonstrate subtractive method and found tools.
- Students roll lace and other fabrics into clay and form around molds, adding other color clay details.
- Students complete projects.
- Students critique sculptures and take to kiln. Firing process explained and parts of kiln shown.
- Glaze pieces for second firing.