“My music is for real women and it’s about real women and I am a real woman.”
- Name: Brandy Clark
- Born: October 9, 1975
- From: Morton, Washington
- Pronouns: She/Her
- Contribution/Impact: On October 22, 2013 Clark released her debut album 12 Stories, and Americana and Roots music blog Twang Nation placed 12 Stories at the top spot of its best of 2013 “Cream of the Crop.”
- Occupation: Musician/Singer/ Songwriter
- Known For: “Stripes”, ” Get High”, and “Girl Next Door”.
- Awards: She was nominated for Best New Artist at the 2015 Grammy Awards.
- Interesting Facts: She first picked up the guitar at nine years old and made her singing debut in school musicals. Her mother encouraged her to write songs.
Brandy Clark was born in Morton, Washington. As a child in the 1980s she was influenced by the country-pop and traditional country music artists, like Barbara Mandrell and Ronnie Milsap. As a teenager she discovered the music business program at Belmont University. As a Music Row songwriter Clark writes songs that are mostly about the seedy underbelly of country folk. As a co-writer of Miranda Lambert’s “Mama’s Broken Heart”, on September 10, 2013 Brandy received a nomination in the Song of the Year category (presented to the songwriters) for the 47th Annual CMA Awards broadcast.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.