Hong Kong means “fragrant harbor” in Chinese. One of its regions, Kowloon, means “nine dragons”.
While Hong Kong is mostly know for towering skyscrapers, there are 40 percent of the territory made up of country parks and nature reserves.
Hong Kong is in East Asia, with a population of 7.5 million people. Its currency is Hong Kong Dollar. The official languages spoken in Hong Kong is Chinese (Cantonese) and English.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Lunar New Year’s Day (Date varies)
- Good Friday (Date varies)
- Labour Day (May 1)
- The Birthday of the Buddha (Date varies)
- Dragon Boat Festival (Date varies)
- Special Administration Region (SAR) Day (Jul 1)
- Day after mid Autumn Festival (Date varies)
- Chinese National Day (Oct 1)
- Chung Yeung Festival (Date varies)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)