Level: Elementary and Middle School
Duration: Two 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: August Rodin and France
Goals and Objectives: To introduce sculpting techniques.
Vocabulary: Positive and negative space, carving additive and subtractive methods, proportion, scale
Materials: Clay, carving tools, wire and washer clay cutting tool, sponges, water containers, tooth brushes, spray bottle
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of different prints by artist Rodin.
- Make wire and washer clay cutting tool.
- Review proportions of a hand.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate subtractive method and found tools.
- Have students wedge clay, use rolling pin, and trace and cut out hand.
- Have students bend hands into position adding details like nails using additive method.
- Make sure to spray clay and wrap any unfinished work well.
- Firing process explained and parts of kiln shown.
- Students complete projects.
- Students critique sculptures and take to kiln.