Tirana, the capital of Albania, is one of the only capitals without a McDonalds!
Albanian buses (called furgons) have no timetable, they depart when they are good and ready – or full.
Mother Teresa is the only Albanian to win a Nobel Peace prize, which she won in 1979 for her work helping the poor in Calcutta, India.
Albania is in Eastern Europe, with a population of 2.8 million people. Its capital is Tirana, and the currency is Lek. They speak Albanian.
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1-2)
- Summer Day (March 14)
- Nowruz (March 22)
- Catholic Easter (Date Varies)
- Orthodox Easter (Date Varies)
- May Day (May 1)
- Eid al-Fitr(Date Varies)
- Mother Teresa Day (Sept 5)
- Eid al-Adha (Date Varies)
- Independence Day (Nov 28)
- Liberation Day (Nov 29)
- Youth Day (Dec 8)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)
It has 4 world heritage sites:
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region
- Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
- Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe