Project Title: Mini Kites with Popsicle Sticks
Description: Students create miniature kites using popsicle sticks.
Grade level or Target Age Range: preschool to middle school
Historical Art Examples or References: Images of kites and complementary colors
Vocabulary: symmetry, complementary colors
Materials: glue, scissors, paper, pencils, popsicle sticks, crayons
Anticipatory Set: Discussion on complementary colors
1. Cut out a diamond shape out of paper
2. Glue the popsicle sticks into a cross
3. Glue the popsicle sticks on the diamond to make a kite
4. Color in opposite quadrants two of the following colors: orange and blue, yellow and purple, green and red
Discussion: Life applications; how the lesson might apply to non-art related experiences or other types of knowledge.
- What is a complementary color?
- What are the complementary colors?