Students create miniature kites using popsicle sticks and learn about complementary colors.
Preschool to middle school
Historical Art Examples or References
Images of kites and complementary colors
Symmetry: two sides of an image that look the same
Complementary colors: pairs of colors that contrast each other
Discussion on complementary colors
1. Cut out a diamond shape out of paper
2. Glue the popsicle sticks into a cross
3. Glue the popsicle sticks on the diamond to make a kite
4. Color in opposite quadrants two of the following colors: orange and blue, yellow and purple, green and red
Life applications; how the lesson might apply to non-art related experiences or other types of knowledge.
1. What is a complementary color?
2. What are the complementary colors?