The Philippines has the highest rate of discovery of new animal species with 16 new species of mammals discovered just in the last 10 years.
The Philippines are named after King Phillip II of Spain.
The Philippines are located in Southeast Asia, with a population of 108 million people. Its capital is Manila, and the currency is the Piso. The official languages spoken in the Philippines are Filipino and English.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 01)
- Chinese New Year (Date Varies)
- People Power Revolution (Feb 25)
- Maundy Thursday (Date Varies)
- Good Friday (Date Varies)
- Black Saturday (Date Varies)
- The Day of Valor (Apr 09)
- Labor Day (May 01)
- Ninoy Aquino Day (Aug 21)
- Bonifacio Day (Nov 30)
Want to learn more? Check out Philippines’ tourism website!
It has six world heritage sites including:
- Baroque Churches of the Philippines
- Historic City of Vigan
- Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras
- Mount Hamiguitan Range Wildlife Sanctuary
- Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park
It also has many national parks including: