We want to share some reading material and broadcasts with you that reflect and influence our teaching philosophy at Art Sphere Inc. Our continuous quest for learning filters through everything we do, and we want to awaken that same thirst in our students.
- Measuring Learning in Holistic Assessment
- Holistic Assessment of Students
- Teaching and Assessing Students Resilience
- A Fresh Look at Brain-Based Education
- Brain-Based Learning Highlights
- Discipline Based Art Education(DBAE)
- Discipline-Based Art Education: Approaching Art as a Subject of Study
- National Standards for Arts Education. What Students Should Know and Be Able to do in the Arts. Web Page.
- National Core Arts Standards: A Conceptual Framework for Arts Learning
- The Arts and the Common Core Curriculum Mapping Project
- Core Practices in Arts Integration
- Could Arts-Integrated Education Help Your Child Succeed?
- Arts Integration + Common Core = Students Prepared for the 21st Century
- Making Content Connections Through Arts Integration
- Arts Integration Resources
- Academic research and publications that confirm and demonstrate the benefits and value of arts education.
- Research and Reports on volunteering.
- How the Arts Impact Communities
- Measuring the economic and social impacts of art
- Analysis of the social impact of art
- Broken Window Theory and Tipping Point
- The Healing Power of the Arts.
- A compilation of stories on the healing powers of art.
- A hospitals journey of installing a healing arts program.
- The healing power of the creative arts in social work
- Analysis of Social work as art
- Different Strokes: Art and Photo Therapy Promote Healing
- NLC Announces New Guide on City Strategies to Promote Black Male Achievement
- Respectful Confrontation
- Radio Broadcasts on Art and Education
The Case For the Arts in Overhauling Education by Rachel Martin (Weekend Edition Sunday on April 14, 2013. In this broadcast Rachel Martin, host of Weekend Edition Sunday, interviews Elizabeth Blair about “…her reporting on the role the arts play in helping low performing schools improve and in nurturing creativity that can help young people in all subjects.” http://www.npr.org/2013/04/14/177204419/the-case-for-the-arts-in-overhauling-education
Creative Classes: An Artful Approach to Improving Performance by Elizabeth Blair (All Things Considered on April 16, 2013)
This show describes how low-performing schools serving students from poor families are implementing the Turnaround Arts Initiative, an intensive arts curriculum supported by the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities.
- Chuck Close reflects on Learning School Lessons Through Art. One of the superstar artists connected with the Turnaround Arts Initiative is painter Chuck Close. He says that when he was growing up, he had some teachers who had enough flexibility to allow him to paint a mural about Lewis and Clark, even though he would not do well on a test about it. He’s now working with students at Roosevelt School in Bridgeport, CT. http://www.npr.org/2013/04/16/177507491/chuck-close-reflects-on-learning-school-lessons-through-art
- More than 50 Years of Putting Kids’ Creativity to the Test by Elizabeth Blair (All Things Considered on April 17, 2013.) In part two of the series on arts education, Elizabeth Blair discusses how creativity is being measured and why it is important to find a measure for creativity. http://www.npr.org/2013/04/17/177040995/more-than-50-years-of-putting-kids-creativity-to-the-test
- Encouraging articles on Leadership and self-esteem.
- The importance of art in schools and healing in art education.
- The misperception of art in modern times.
- Google Art Project’s place in the art world.
- How to pick project ideas.
- History inspired projects.
- Helping your students meet English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
- Google Art Project information