The name Uruguay comes from the Uruguay River which means ‘river of the painted birds’ in the Guarani language. The river starts in Brazil and ends in the Rio de la Plata Basin which forms the water border between Uruguay and Argentina.
Uruguay’s national anthem, which lasts more than five minutes, is the world’s longest in performance duration.
Uruguay is in South America, with a population of 3.5 million people. Its capital is Montevideo, and their currency is Uruguayan peso(UYU).The official language in Uruguay is Spanish.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Children’s Day (Jan 6)
- Carnival Monday (Date Varies)
- Carnival Tuesday (Date Varies)
- Bank Holiday (Date Varies)
- Maundy Thursday (Date Varies)
- Good Friday (Date Varies)
- Landing of the 33 Patriots Day (Date Varies)
- Labour Day (May 1)
- Battle of Las Piedras (May 18)
- Artigas’ Birthday (Jun 19)
- Constitution Day (Jul 18)
- Independence Day (Aug 25)
- Day of the Races (Date Varies)
- All Souls’ Day (Nov2)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)
It has two world heritage sites:
It also has 11 national parks including:
- Santa Teresa National Park
- Cabo Polonio National Park
- San Miguel National Park
- Esteros de Farrapos National Park
Want to learn more? Check out Uruguay’s tourism website!