Russia has the world’s longest railway measuring 5,700 miles.
The famous Russian wooden doll, matryoshka, has a link to Japan. The story goes that Russian artist Sergey Malyutin, who was working on a design for a Russian wooden doll, was gifted a Japanese daruma doll, which had other dolls hidden inside it. The first-ever matryoshka, consisting of eight dolls, was made in the 1890s by wooden doll master Zvyozdochkin, who used Malyutin’s drawings.
Russia is in Eastern Europe, with a population of 144.5 million people. Its capital is Moscow, and their currency is Russian Ruble. The official language in Russia is Russian.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Orthodox Christmas (Jan 7)
- Defence of the Fatherland Day
- International Women’s Day (Mar 8)
- Day of Spring and Labor (May 1)
- Victory Day (May 9)
- Russia Day (Jun 12)
- Day of Unity (Nov 4)
Want to learn more? Check out Russia’s tourism website!
It has 29 world heritage sites including:
- Architectural Ensemble of the Trinity Sergius Lavra in Sergiev Posad
- Assumption Cathedral and Monastery of the town-island of Sviyazhsk
- Bolgar Historical and Archaeological Complex
- Church of the Ascension, Kolomenskoye
It also has 64 national parks including: