“The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.“
- Name: Thelonious Monk
- Born: October 10, 1917
- Died: February 17, 1982
- From: Rocky Mount, North Carolina
- Occupation: Musician
- Works: Thelonious Monk Quartet – ‘Round Midnight
- Awards: Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (1993), Pulitzer Prize for “a body of distinguished and innovative musical composition that has had a significant and enduring impact on the evolution of jazz” (2006).
Thelonious Sphere Monk was a jazz composer and pianist. He began his career playing the church organ with a touring evangelist. As he grew into his late teens and early 20s, jazz began to take over his repertoire. Monk continued to push the boundaries throughout his entire career, working with Prestige Records, Riverside Records, and Columbia Records.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Write a description on the line and decorate.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out more resources and ways to celebrate MLK can be found on these links as well as our official Day of Service opportunity to volunteer.
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.