“Style is whatever you want to do, if you can do it with confidence.”
- Name: George Clinton
- Born: July 22, 1941
- From: Kannapolis, North Carolina
- Spouse: Stephanie Lynn Clinton
- Occupation: Singer, Songwriter, Producer
- Known For: “The Parliaments” and “Funkadelic”
- NAACP Image Award – Hall of Fame Award (1997)
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1997)
- Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award (2003)
- Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (2019)
George Clinton is an American funk musician, best known for his two legendary bands, Parliament and Funkadelic. Parliament originally started as a doo-wop group, under the name “The Parliaments”. After little commercial success, Clinton took the band in a different direction, producing funk and R&B. Parliament dominated the music scene in the 1970s, with over 40 R&B hit singles, and three platinum albums. Since then, Clinton has been listed as an influence for many rappers and has had his music sampled in many rap beats.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Write a description on the line and decorate.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out more resources and ways to celebrate MLK can be found on these links as well as our official Day of Service opportunity to volunteer.
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.