“You gotta laugh and love and take all life has to give. You gotta live and learn so you can learn to live.”
- Name: Darius Rucker
- Born: May 13, 1966
- From: Charleston, South Carolina
- Occupation: Musician
- Works: Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It, It Won’t Be Like This For Long, Come Back Song, For The First Time
- Awards: Grammy Awards: Best New Artist – Hootie & the Blowfish (1995), Grammy Awards: Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal – “Let Her Cry) (1996), British Country Music Association Awards: International Album of the Year – Southern Style (2015), Academy of Country Music Awards: Gary Haber Lifting Lives Award – Darius Rucker (2018)
Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, his passion for singing started at his local church choir. Once he attended college, he took his passion for singing more seriously and joined a band with his friends to form “Hootie & the Blowfish.” He moved on to focus on his solo career and country music, which inspired many to break the divide associating race with music genres.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Write a description on the line and decorate.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out more resources and ways to celebrate MLK can be found on these links as well as our official Day of Service opportunity to volunteer.
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.