“I have no favorite. My favorite thing is whatever I’m doing.”
- Name: Damo Suzuki
- Born: January 16, 1950
- From: Kobe, Japan
- Occupation: Vocalist, Musician
- Known For: Solo work as a singer as well as the former lead singer for the band Can.
- Contribution/Impact: Credited for pushing the threshold of rock/punk vocals in Europe
- Link to art/Pieces:
Damo began traveling around Europe in the late 1960s, leaving his home in Japan. He would often do street performances (or busking) and was eventually discovered in Munich by members of the krautrock band Can, who he joined in performance later that same day. After Damo joined Can in 1970, the group maintained steady breakthroughs in their music. He left Can in 1973, ending their brief career together. After a hiatus from music and a rigorous cancer treatment, Suzuki began creating music again in 1983, contributing to Germany’s underground scene ever since.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Write a description on the line and decorate.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out more resources and ways to celebrate MLK can be found on these links as well as our official Day of Service opportunity to volunteer.
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.