“I’m an artist. I like working with media and technology because A, I’m familiar with them and I like the power they hold. And B, I hate them and I’m terrified of the power they hold.”
- Name: Matt Kenyon
- From: Baton Rouge, LA
- Born: 1977
- Known For: New Media Art
- Contribution/Impact: Kenyon is able to create art that questions society and technology as we know it. Examples of things he is able to question in his art are, our reliance on global corporations and oil, and the military-industrial complex.
- Interesting Fact: In 1999, at the age of 22, Kenyon founded S.W.A.M.P
- Awards: FILE Prix Lux
- Art Pieces: SWAMP, Sculpturespace
Matt Kenyon is a 44-year-old artist and the co-founder of S.W.A.M.P. (Studies of Work Atmosphere and Mass Production). He is from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University and earned his M.F.A. in painting and printmaking. Kenyon’s artwork has been exhibited in many places, including the C.C.C.B., C.I.C.A., and even in the New York Times. Kenyon was also awarded first place in Digital Language for the FILE Prix Lux award alongside Douglas Easterly and Tiago Rorke for their work on “Tardigotchi.” He was also featured on T.E.D. Talk in 2015. Currently, he lives and works in Buffalo, New York as an Associate Professor at the University of Buffalo.
Videos of Matt Kenyon
Kenyon’s interview on his relationship with media and technology
Kenyon’s Cloud Project in the MOCAD Detroit exhibit.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Write a description on the line and decorate.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.