Maldives has more than 1190 coral islands and has around 200 inhabited islands. 99% of the country is water.
The world’s first underwater cabinet meeting was held in Maldives. The President of the country held a cabinet underwater in October 2009.
Maldives is in the Indian Ocean, with a population of 550 thousand people. Its capital is Male (Maale), and their currency is Rufiyaa. The official language in Maldives is Dhivehi (Maldvian).
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- First of Ramazan (Date varies)
- Worker’s Day (May 1)
- Eid-ul Fithr (Date varies)
- Hajj Day (Date varies)
- Eid-ul Al’haa (Date varies)
- Independence Day (Jul 26)
- Islamic New Year (Date varies)
- Qaumee Dhuvas (Date varies)
- Mawlid al-Nabi (Date varies)
- Victory Day (Nov 3)
- The Day Maldives Embraced Islam (Date varies)
- Republic Day (Nov 11)