“I don’t want to make music that is hot now; I want to make music that is hot forever.“
- Name: Sam Smith
- Pronouns: They/them
- Born: May 19, 1992
- From: London, UK
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter
- Contribution/Impact: Smith is an English singer and songwriter who is known for singing R&B, pop, and soul music. They have won a multitude of awards and has become an incredibly successful artist.
- Known For: “Too Good at Goodbyes”, “Stay With Me”, “I’m Not the Only One.”
- Awards: Won 4 Grammy Awards in 2015, 1 Golden Globe Award in 2016, 1 American Music Award in 2014, 3 Billboard Music Awards in 2015
- Interesting Fact: Smith cites Adele and Amy Winehouse as primary influences
In 2014, Sam Smith came out as gay. They are a singer and is known for their hit songs “Too Good at Goodbyes,” “I’m Not the Only One,” “Fire on Fire,” and “Dancing with a Stranger.” They came out as non-binary and changed their pronouns to gender neutral terms, they/them back in 2019.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.