“Mal Blum’s arrival on the indie scene gives us all hope for the future of smart music.”
- Name: Mal Blum
- Born: July 7, 1988
- From: New York
- Pronouns: They/Them
- Contribution/Impact: In August 2020, Mal Blum was tapped to write music for Season 2 of Netflix’s Trinkets television show.
- Occupation: Songwriter/Musician/ Writer
- Known For: “Dysmorphic”, “See Me”, Mal Blum on Audiotree Live
- Awards: Their music featured on Logo TV’s The Click List: Top 10 Videos and NewNowNext Music. They also have appeared as a musical guest on the Welcome to Night Vale (WTNV) podcast and toured extensively with WTNV live shows in 2018.
- Interesting Facts: Blum was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, but has only spoken occasionally about it in interviews.
Mal Blum (born July 7, 1988) is an American songwriter, musician, writer and performer from New York. They have described themself as a transgender. They attended State University of New York at Purchase, and they are Jewish. They spent their early career promoting self-booked DIY solo tours and supporting musicians including Melissa Ferrick, Jenny Owen Youngs, and Jeffrey Lewis. In 2014, they signed to Don Giovanni records and announced they would be working on a new album produced by Marissa Paternoster of the band Screaming Females.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.