“When I do makeup, it’s performative. I don’t really wear makeup, but I use it as a tool to talk about gender and sexuality.”
- Name: King Princess
- Born: December 19, 1998
- From: Brooklyn, New York.
- Pronouns: She/Her
- Contribution/Impact: She is currently signed onto Mark Ronson’s Zelig Records label and was the first artist to sign onto that label.
- Occupation: Musician/ Singer/Songwriter
- Known For: King Princess – Ain’t Together, King Princess – Cheap Queen, and King Princess – Holy.
- Awards: She was nominated for a 2020 GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Music Artist.
- Interesting Facts: Already a studio veteran from her upbringing, Straus was approached by Virgin Records when she was just 11. She and her Dad turned down the offer of a record deal, which sticks with her as an important lesson in both business and life.
Mikaela Mullaney Straus born December 19, 1998, known by her stage name King Princess, is an American singer, songwriter, instrumentalist and producer from Brooklyn, New York. She is signed to Mark Ronson’s label Zelig Records, an imprint of Columbia Records. In February 2018, King Princess released her debut single “1950”. The song was a commercial success, charting in multiple territories. The song was later certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. Her second single, “Talia”, was certified gold in Australia by the Australian Recording Industry Association. King Princess released her debut studio album Cheap Queen on October 25, 2019.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.