“When you’re not able to be queer yourself, you’re silenced, quiet, and reserved. And by accepting and embracing my queerness, I’m able to say the things that I want, enjoy the things I want, and make the art that I want.”
- Name: Cheyne Gallarde
- Born: November 11, 1980
- From: Hawaii, USA
- Pronouns: He/him
- Contribution/Impact: Cheyne Gallarde is an artist and illustrator popular for his old school comic art style and content, often depicting drag queens and LGBTQ+ figures. He has worked with MTV to create comic book covers for all of the 2019 Video of the Year nominees as well as one for Video Vanguard recipient Missy Elliott.
- Occupation: Artist, Illustrator, Photographer
- Known For: Heroes of History, Netflix Superqueeroes, Moving Parts
- Awards: Pele Award Winner, Rainbow Film Festival Key Visuals in 2012; National Advertising Award “John Waters Covers” in 2019; Pele Award Gold Winner “MTV VMA Awards” in 2020
- Interesting Fact: Worked with MTV to create comic book covers for all of the 2019 Video of the Year nominees as well as one for Video Vanguard recipient Missy Elliott.
Cheyne Gallarde is a Hawaiian born artist that got his start in fashion photographer. Eventually, Gallarde made a switch and focused more on illustration and used his love of comics and Drag Queens to create comic covers of them. Gallarde said he admired Drag Queens the same way he admired famous characters like Wonder Woman and Jean Grey which led to his artwork that has been as described as, “…equal parts Jack Kirby and RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.