“I feel so much more comfortable that I’ve ever been. I’ve felt male as far back as I can remember.”
- Name: Chaz Bono
- Born: March 4, 1969
- From: Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Pronouns: He/Him
- Contribution/Impact: In September 2011, he became a competitor on the 13th season of the US version of Dancing with the Stars, paired with professional ballroom dancer Lacey Schwimmer.
- Occupation: Musician/ Writer/Actor
- Known For: “Could’ve Been Love” and “I Got You Babe”.
- Awards: Winner of FANtastic Award Best Supporting Actor in a Feature Film Reborn (2018) and Winner of Stephen F. Kolzak Award in 2012.
- Interesting Facts: In mid-2008, Bono began undergoing a physical and social transition from female to male. This was confirmed in June 2009 by his publicist, who identified Bono’s name as Chaz Bono and said, “It is Chaz’s hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue.
Chaz Salvatore Bono born Chastity Sun Bono on March 4, 1969 is an American writer, musician and actor. His parents are entertainers Sonny Bono and Cher, and he became widely known in appearances as a child on their television show, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour. In mid-2008, Bono began undergoing a physical and social transition from female to male. Bono was a team captain for Celebrity Fit Club 3 (2006) and was supported by girlfriend Jennifer Elia, who orchestrated exercise and training sessions.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.