“Nowadays where everything else is polluted, art remains the only pure form of communication; only art speaks the real truth about society and you can’t tame it.“
- Name: Andrea Di Giovanni
- Born: June 25, 1994
- From: Rome, Italy
- Pronouns: He/Him
- Contribution/Impact: He participate in the TV show Amici di Maria de Filippi, and he has filmed a live session with Sofar Sounds London and has clocked up hundreds of thousands of views on his Youtube channel.
- Occupation: Musician, Singer, Songwriter
- Known For: “Got to Blame” and “Close To The Dark”.
- Awards: In 2016 his single ‘Hold Me Once More’ was picked up by MTV New Generation, and he was named Artist of the Month, also chosen as the face of Song4Life, a national alcohol awareness campaign.
- Interesting Facts: Diagnosed with Vitiligo at the age of 5, and teased for his feminine manners, he was an easy target for bullies as a child.
Born into a strictly observant Roman Catholic family, Andrea grew up in Rome as the middle child between his older brother and younger sister. Struggling with life in the limelight, Andrea experienced episodes of anxiety and depression but found solace and strength through his songwriting. Andrea packed his bags and headed to London, not only in pursuit of a career in music but in search of a place where he felt more comfortable expressing his sexuality. Since his move to the capital, Andrea’s career has gone from strength to strength; having performed at Brighton Pride in front of 300,000 people, as well as a very special live show at Shepherds Bush Empire as part of his final showcase for his university course at BIMM.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.