Ecuador’s biggest export is banana that everybody knows and loves. So big are its banana exports that Ecuador ranks as the top exporter of bananas in the whole wide world!
The name Ecuador comes from the word equator, which itself runs through the country only a few kilometers away from the capital city of Quito. It is one of the only countries in the whole world that’s named after a geographical feature.
Ecuador is in South America, with a population of 17.1 million people. Its capital is Quito, and their currency is United States Dollar(USD). The official language spoken in Ecuador is Spanish.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Carnival Monday (Date Varies)
- Carnival Tuesday (Date Varies)
- Good Friday (Date Varies)
- Easter Day (Date Varies)
- Labor Day (May 1)
- Anniversary of the Battle of Pichincha (May 24)
- Independence Day (Aug 10)
- Independence of Guayaquil (Date Varies)
- All Soul’s Day (Nov 2)
- Independence of Cuenca Holiday (Nov 3)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)
It has five world heritage sites:
- City of Quito
- Galápagos Islands
- Historic Centre of Santa Ana de los Ríos de Cuenca
- Qhapaq Ñan, Andean Road System
- Sangay National Park
It also has 11 national parks including:
Want to learn more? Check out Ecuador’s tourism website!