Colombia is the world’s leading source of emeralds and its coffee is world – renown.
One-third of the country is Amazon-Rainforest. The Amazon Jungle is a moist forest that covers about 40% of the South American continent. The majority of the forest – 60% – is contained in Brazil, followed by Peru with 13% and Colombia with 10%.
Colombia is in South America, with a population of 50.6 million people. Its capital is Bogota, and their currency is Colombian peso(COP). The official language in Colombia is Spanish.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Epiphany (Date Varies)
- St. Joseph’s Day (Date Varies)
- Maundy Thursday (Date Varies)
- Good Friday (Date Varies)
- Labor Day (May 1)
- Ascension Day Holiday (Date Varies)
- Corpus Christi Holiday (Date Varies)
- Sacred Heart (Date Varies)
- Saints Peter and Paul’s Day (Date Varies)
- Declaration of Independence (Jul 20)
- Battle of Boyacá (Aug 7)
- Assumption Day (Date Varies)
- Day of the Races (Date Varies)
- All Saints’ Day Holiday (Date Varies)
- Independence of Cartagena (Date Varies)
- Immaculate Conception Day (Dec 8)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)
It has nine world heritage sites including:
- Coffee Cultural Landscape of Colombia
- Historic Centre of Santa Cruz de Mompox
- National Archeological Park of Tierradentro
- Port, Fortresses and Group of Monuments, Cartagena
- Chiribiquete National Park – “The Maloca of the Jaguar”
It also has 59 nationally protected area including:
Want to learn more? Check out Colombia’s tourism website!