“This dance make gravity waltz around my lips. Imagination stretched and held up, glimmering. This joy real.”
- Name: Angel Edwards
- Born: 1996
- From: Philadelphia, PA
- Pronouns: They/them
- Contribution/Impact: Angel Edwards is a freelance dancer, photographer, poet, and healer based in Philadelphia. They center black queer femmes and activism in their work. Angel Edwards has choreographed for productions at The University of the Arts (2019) and Princeton University (2020).
- Occupation: Dancer, Photographer, Poet, Choreographer, Artist
- Known For: gratitude 2020, against a backdrop of horror, the mundane is almost a luxury, Untitled Portraiture
- Awards: 2019 Artist in Residence with Urban Movement Arts, a 2020 Mural Arts fellow, Recipient of the 2020 Eva Yaa Asantewaa Grant for Queer Women(+) Dance Artists
Angel Edwards is a nonbinary choreographer committed to healing and cultivating black queer and trans community. Edwards credits non-institutional learning spaces for the development of their artistic gifts. Graduating from Temple University with a BFA in Psychology, Edwards has been working across mediums and fields. They are currently freelance, recently being granted the third Yaa Asantewaa grant from Queer|Art for their choreo-poem ‘against a backdrop of horror, the mundane is almost a luxury’.
To download the Handout:
- Click on the image
- Right-click and select Save Image As…
- Decorate and personalize the empty space in the image.
- Cut out and use for a selfie to share on our social media page.
- Download a card and envelope template and write about an idea this leader inspires.
- Check out The Attic for more resources and events for Philadelphia’s LGBT+ youth!
This ASI Special event is an ongoing volunteer-led project made by people like you, using multiple educational sources regularly being revised and updated. We would love your assistance if you or your group would like to get involved, learn more here.