Your destination: (objectives)
- Using recycled materials, we are going to create little people sculptures. This will give students a chance to practice creating sculpture in a creative, fun way.
Travel kit: (materials)
- Wire, cork, ribbon/fabric ,tape, plastic bag, wire cutter, scissors.
On the path
- First using your wire, create a person shape by twisting and bending.
- Next, stick the feet or the bottom of the figures in your cork so that they are able to stand freely.
- Finally, take the plastic bag and cut a piece off to make the tutu. You can also use the plastic bag or fabric to make a leotard.
Group tour (how larger class can be involved as group projects)
- Have each person in the class create the wire structure as themselves. By the end you will have a class of wire sculptures.
Extend your journey
- Introduce the class to the artist Alexander Calder and Elizabeth Berrien. Discuss how they uses wire in their work. What are the similarities, what are the differences?
Discover … : (website links)