Today was our second week of working with our 5th, 6th, and 7th-grade class. In honor of it being an especially windy fall day, we decorated kites. We asked that they try and make these kites about them (things they liked, disliked, hobbies, etc.). Our goal was to be able to learn a little bit about these talented students that we will be with for the next several weeks. We also went around and asked each student a few questions about what they were thankful for and where they were from. It was really interesting going around and learning a little bit of background from these middle schoolers and who or what they were grateful for as we near thanksgiving.
We also worked with our original class, who was energetic as always. They loved decorating the kites and ran around the room trying to fly them. They are continuing to learn about seasons, so we read a short book about all 4 seasons. They were excited they were able to get engaged when we asked if they could find the rhymes at the end of each phrase. It was great to see them catching on to the rhyming pattern of the book, and by the end, they were all raising their hands to answer. In the end, we went around again and asked who and what they were thankful for. Their answers were super sweet and I’m excited to share them down below.
Students in our middle school class: Aisha, Xin, Jason, Angela, Jamie, Jason, Jaiden, Jaleel, Jaleine, Escarlet, Habsah, Quan, Aisha, and David
Students in our elementary class: Naomi, Nathan, Rebecca, Sui, Ariel, Dawt, Ciin, Jenny, Mariam, Brian, and Jennifer
These students come from all over. Just a few places are: China, Malaysia, Philly, Cambodia, Thailand, and the Dominican Republic
Who is your favorite person at school?
- My friend
Name one thing in your home that you are grateful for.
- My home
What technology are you most thankful for?
- My phone
- My tablet
What do you love most about your parents?
- They love me
- I love to hug them
Name something good that happened to you today.
- They changed me to a new seat
- I finished Alexia
What is your favorite possession?
- My computer
- My family
What talent do you have that you’re grateful for?
Who is someone you could say thank you to today?
- My dad
What’s something you’re really excited about?
- Black Friday
- Drawing my favorite Anime
- Going to 4th grade and getting new school supplies
What is your favorite class at school?
- English in the morning
What is something you learned this week?
- I learned how to follow direction and be kind to my friends
Where is your favorite place to play outside?
- Volleyball on a team; football with a brother
What’s one of your favorite things about your siblings?
- He’s too young; older sibling likes to play Roblox
- My little sister likes to play with toys
When are you the happiest during the day?
- Food! Mom makes really good food
What teacher are you most thankful for?
- More than one favorite; I like to learn math/ tech
What about today has been better than yesterday?
- Hanging out at home and watching Chinese movies
- Field trip to the Franklin Institute; I liked the gift shop, learned about the brain, and walked through a giant heart
Fill in the blank: I am grateful to be me because_______?
- I have clothes, school supplies, hardworking parents, and food
- My stuff
What’s your favorite holiday?
- My birthday
What is one thing you love about yourself?
- My height
- I have a nice mom
Fill in the blank: I am thankful I learned how to______?
- Draw from my mom
What’s your favorite thing about the town you live in?
- There are so many people
- There’s nothing that happens a lot
- I have my own room and a play place in the basement where I can make a big mess
- I like playing
Who’s someone who always listens to you when you speak?
- Trinity and Jasmine (best friends) and they like to talk about everything
- Sui, my best friend, we met in the 1st grade
What is your favorite activity to do with your family?
- Play Fortnite with my brother