Title/Description: Seed Pod Bird
Level: Elementary School
Duration: One 45-minute class period
Historical Overview: Assemblage art
Goals and Objectives: To introduce sculpture techniques
Vocabulary: Mixed media, off center
Materials: Tempera paint, yellow pipe cleaners, tissue paper, kite string, paper, hole punch
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of different mixed media sculptures.
- Hole punch pods – two together in middle and two separate holes slightly off center.
- Thread kite string through hole and tie string.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate folding tissue paper like a fan or accordion and thread through double hole, then gently spread tissue wings apart.
- Have students choose two colors of tissue paper and follow along.
- Have students twist yellow pipe cleaners for legs and then two little pipe cleaners for each foot.
- Make sure to dip pointed end of pods into yellow paint and decorate the rest of the bird if there is additional time.