Title/Description: Paper Flowers
Level: Elementary School
Duration: Two 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: Georgia O’Keefe
Goals and Objectives: To introduce imagery of the southwest and manipulate mixed media
Vocabulary: Etching, printmaking
Materials: Tissue paper, starch, water, wire, scissors, black felt-tip marker, paper
- Anticipatory Set: Show examples of Georgia O’Keefe’s paintings and bones collected from the southwest. Have students identify from what animal the bone belonged.
- Demonstrate drawing from still life.
- Have students sketch images.
- Review vocabulary.
- Have students use starch to adhere tissue paper to still life paper in key areas to enhance composition.
- Have students add details, especially textures of still life with felt-tip marker.
- Have students make tissue paper flowers.
- Folding three sheets of tissue paper like an accordion, twisting wire around the center, trimming edges to look like petals, and carefully separating sheets.