Happy National Apple Pie Day!
Follow the instruction below to make a delicious apple pie!
- About 5 cups thinly sliced apples
(peeled and cored), 8-10 medium apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1–2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Double pie crust
- 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water
- Granulated sugar, optional
- In a medium bowl, add the sliced apples. Sprinkle them with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt and toss gently to combine well.
- Roll out and place the uncooked pie crust in the bottom of a deep 9-inch pie plate.
- Place the apple mixture in the uncooked pie shell. Place small pieces of butter on top of the apple mixture.
- Top with the second pie crust. Crimp the edges and then cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to vent.
- Mix the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush the mix on top of the pie crust and sprinkle with sugar before baking.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for the first 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue cooking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- If the edge of the crust starts to brown more quickly than the center, carefully cover the edge with foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving. This can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature.