For those of you who celebrate Christmas, you may be familiar with advent calendars. For each day of the month, advent calendars have a new surprise that you reveal day by day. It could be candy, small gifts, or in this case, a new activity that you can do while we’re stuck at home!
This project is one of the virtual literacy through art classes hosted on Facebook Live from 1:30-2pm every Wednesday and Friday. Materials and instructions are posted here afterwards. Tune into the live classes to ask questions, give suggestions, and interact with other students who are stuck at home!
- Print the Literacy Through Art Advent Calendar Template
- Blank paper
- Glue stick
- Something to draw with
- Hole punch (optional)
- String (optional)
- Print out the activity template. On the sheet are 20 circles, each with different fun literacy activities to do while you’re stuck at home! Don’t look at all the activities because you want it to be a surprise day by day!
- Grab a blank sheet of paper and put it over the template and make sure it lines up. A few millimeters underneath each row of circles make a mark to indicate where you should cut. If you are using printer paper you should be able to see through the paper slightly. When you cut you should have five different slips.
- Once you’ve cut your paper, glue above each row of circles and glue each slip of paper down so it creates a flap hiding the activities that you can fold up to reveal the activities underneath.
- Once you’ve glued down all the flaps, make cuts in between each circle on the bottom page to create individual flaps for each activity inside the circles.
- You should have 20 individual flaps covering each circle.
- Now decorate! You can make it for any month/months and dates. Then put a date on each flap to symbolize which day you should lift each flap. I used the dates May 1st through 20th.
- Optional: If you would like your calendar to hang, use a hole puncher to punch two holes in the top right and left corners of your paper. Then use any kind of string, loop it through the two holes and tie the ends together, and then hang it up!
- Now you can lift up a flap for the corresponding date to reveal a new activity to do at home every day!