Level: Middle School
Duration: Three 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: Dutch Impressionism and Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
Goals and Objectives: To introduce ink media
Vocabulary: Landscape, Impressionism, ink, washes, mark-making
Materials: inks, brushes, plastic containers, bamboo tools
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of Van Gogh ink landscapes.
- Slide lecture on history of Impressionism.
- Class discussion on artist Vincent Van Gogh.
- Review mark-making.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate drawing a sketch and basic painting techniques.
- Students create preliminary landscape paintings with ink.
- Demonstrate how to set up a palette of washes of different values.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students create wash value scales.
- Students use washes to paint landscapes.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.