Watercolors of the U.S.
Level: Middle School
Duration: Three 45-minute class period.
Historical Overview: Contemporary Watercolor Painters from the U.S.- Bruce McGrew, Homer Johnson, Doug Denniston
Goals and Objectives: To introduce watercolor techniques and various artists
Vocabulary: Watercolor, washes, dry brush, stippling, masking, deckle edges, watermark, sizing, neutral pH, acid free
Materials: Watercolor paints, various brushes, plastic containers, masking tape, block out, salt, rubber cement, feather, masonite board, Fabriano 140lb 100% cotton paper, Arches water color blocks 100% rag, Arches rough, cold, and hot press, 90lb Canson Montval Watercolor Roll, Strathmore 500
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of different paintings by contemporary watercolor painters from the U.S.
- Slide lecture on history of watercolor.
- Class discussion on artists Bruce McGrew, Homer Johnson, and Doug Denniston
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate watercolor techniques.
- Students create preliminary studies with watercolors.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students transfer sketch onto paper, mask, and block.
- Students paint.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.