Surreal Landscapes of the Mind – Acrylic Paints
Level: Middle School
Duration: Three 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: Surreal Landscapes of Max Earnst
Goals and Objectives: To introduce experimental uses of paint media
Vocabulary: Surrealism, Landscape, acrylics, drip techniques, encaustic
Materials: Acrylic paints, brushes, plastic containers
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of different Surrealism paintings.
- Slide lecture on history of Surrealism.
- Class discussion on artist Max Earnst.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate dripping and encaustic techniques.
- Students create preliminary drawing with charcoals.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students transfer sketch onto canvas.
- Students paint.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.