Expressionist Psychological Landscapes – Acrylic Paints
Level: Middle School
Duration: Three 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: German Expressionism and Max Beckman
Goals and Objectives: To introduce paint media and psychological use of figure
Vocabulary: Expressionism, acrylics, glazes
Materials: Acrylic paints, brushes, plastic containers
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of images of different German Expressionist paintings.
- Slide lecture on history of Expressionism.
- Class discussion on artist Max Beckman.
- Review color wheel use of black line.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate drawing a sketch using masking tape to cover areas of work and basic glazing techniques.
- Students create preliminary drawing with charcoals.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students transfer sketch onto canvas.
- Students paint.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.