your destination: (objectives)
- The students will be able to practice impressionist style techniques by recreating Monet’s “The Water-Lily Pond”.
travel kit: (materials)
- Acrylic paint, paint brush, something to paint on! (canvas, wood, thick paper, title, panel).
on the path
- Start by creating your pallet! Find something you can mix your paint on. This could be can piece of wood or plastic, just something that you won’t need to reuse later. First mix the pinks by using red and white paint. Next make a light green by mixing green and white paint. You will also need to squeeze out yellow, green, red, and blue individually without mixing them with anything.
- First start in the middle and paint the water. We are going to be using the blue and pink paint for this. Use one of your fingers and make little overlapping prints. Start with the blue, and then layer pink on top.
- Next, move on to the sides were there is foliage. You are going to first make your lily pads. Start with yellow and make that your base layer. Next go in with pinks, blues, or reds and create thin layers on top.
- Create the foliage around the sides. You can start with your light green and then add some light dark green to add some definition.
group tour (how larger class can be involved as group projects)
extend your journey
- After the students get a feel for what it is like to practice impressionist techniques from their finger painting, they can start applying these new skills to paintbrushes and pallet knives.
learn new vocabulary
- Impressionism, pointillism
discover … : (website links)