Level: Middle School
Duration: 2, 45 minute class periods
Historical Overview: German Expressionism and Emil Nolde (1867-1956)
Goals and Objectives: To introduce expressive uses of paint media
Vocabulary: German Expressionism, acrylics, impasto
Materials: Acrylic paints, brushes, plastic containers
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of Emil Nolde’s paintings.
- Slide lecture on history of Expressionism.
- Class discussion on artist Emil Nolde.
- Review color wheel.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate basic impasto painting techniques.
- Students create preliminary drawing with charcoals.
- Teacher demonstrates how to set up similar palette to what Emil Nolde used and how to mix color.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students transfer sketch that expresses a mood onto canvas.
- Students paint.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.