Title/Description: Dream Catchers
Level: Elementary School
Duration: One 45-minute class period
Historical Overview: Indigenous Peoples in the Americas tribes and legends
Goals and Objectives: To introduce and explore a Indigenous Peoples in the Americas legend
Materials: Paper plates, yarn, pony beads, feathers, paper, pencils, markers/crayons
- Anticipatory Set: Discuss Indigenous Peoples in the Americas legends and the “Story of Creation of the Maidu Indians.”
- Have students write about a dream they had and how to protect themselves from bad dreams. Introduce the legend of the dream catcher.
- Cut out center of paper plate.
- Punch approximately twelve holes in plate.
- Design pattern and color with markers or crayons.
- String yarn across plate (do not go over outer edge). Add pony beads if desired.
- Tie streamers and feathers to sides and/or bottom.