Huge Hoagie or Monster Sandwich Project Collages: A group project that inspires sharing and team building and is age appropriate for pre-school through elementary school.
Materials: Manila paper (recycled files and faded and yellowed paper), scrap paper, construction paper, glue, markers, scissors, paper plates and napkins
Vocabulary: Basic shapes, including circle, square, triangle, and rectangle, all over pattern, texture, repetition, collage
- Students build sandwich with all the different toppings.
- Pre-cut construction paper can be helpful.
- Have students brainstorm foods for sandwich: bread, cheese, meats, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, etc.
- Individuals or groups can be responsible for making enough for groups and sharing shapes.
- Paper plates and napkins are extra props that make this project fun.
- Students can use markers for details like sesame seeds or add an olive with a toothpick.
- Entire collage can also be put onto a white paper plate or white paper cut into a circle.
Opportunity for discussion and play:
- Students discuss favorite types of foods for building this monster sandwich.
- Students can pretend their group is its own sandwich shop.
- Create a name for restaurant, menu with prices, and descriptions for different kinds of sandwiches.
- When we make a sandwich, how do we keep it sanitary and food safe?
- Discuss allergies and alternatives for breads, cheeses, meats.