For those of you who celebrate Christmas, you may be familiar with advent calendars. For each day of the month, advent calendars have a new surprise that you reveal day by day. It could be candy, small gifts, or in this case, a new activity that you can do while we’re stuck at home!
This project is one of the virtual literacy through art classes hosted on Facebook Live from 1:30-2pm every Wednesday and Friday. Materials and instructions are posted here afterwards. Tune into the live classes to ask questions, give suggestions, and interact with other students who are stuck at home!
- Print the Literacy Through Art Advent Calendar Template
- Blank paper
- Glue stick
- Something to draw with
- Hole punch (optional)
- String (optional)
- Print out the activity template. On the sheet are 20 circles, each with different fun literacy activities to do while you’re stuck at home! Don’t look at all the activities because you want it to be a surprise day by day!
- Grab a blank sheet of paper and put it over the template and make sure it lines up. A few millimeters underneath each row of circles make a mark to indicate where you should cut. If you are using printer paper you should be able to see through the paper slightly. When you cut you should have five different slips.
- Once you’ve cut your paper, glue above each row of circles and glue each slip of paper down so it creates a flap hiding the activities that you can fold up to reveal the activities underneath.
- Once you’ve glued down all the flaps, make cuts in between each circle on the bottom page to create individual flaps for each activity inside the circles.
- You should have 20 individual flaps covering each circle.
- Now decorate! You can make it for any month/months and dates. Then put a date on each flap to symbolize which day you should lift each flap. I used the dates May 1st through 20th.
- Optional: If you would like your calendar to hang, use a hole puncher to punch two holes in the top right and left corners of your paper. Then use any kind of string, loop it through the two holes and tie the ends together, and then hang it up!
- Now you can lift up a flap for the corresponding date to reveal a new activity to do at home every day!
Brighten up your desk by decorating a pencil cup with construction paper spirals! It’s fun to make, pretty to look at, and will inspire you to write! This project is … Continue reading Quilled Pencil Cup
Description: Passover and Easter are this week, and if you don’t celebrate either of those, egg hunts and getting free candy is still super fun! This is a time where … Continue reading Easter Egg Cards
This morning, we gave out paper stamps and banners to students at Shissler. We asked them to think about the colleges they might want to play sports for or go … Continue reading Designing Banners and Stamps
Interested in Volunteering or Interning with ASI or Our Winter Plans? Here is our Winter 2019 Schedule. Learn more- Sign up Today! Cione 9-11am Mondays – January 14, (MLK DAY … Continue reading ASI Winter 2019 Calendar
Last Sunday, ASI volunteers participated in Family Day at the Bok Bar! Our volunteers brought marigold seed packets and foldable houses to decorate. The seeds were wrapped in coloring sheets … Continue reading Family Day at the Bok Bar!
This week at Fishtown Recreation Center, we created our own versions of stained-glass windows. For inspiration, I shared some photos of real stained-glass windows as well as other students work … Continue reading Art Projects for All Ages!
My name is Ashlyn and I am an assistant teacher at the Fishtown Recreation Center and Samuels Playground for ASI’s summer programs. Our lesson plan at Fishtown this week was … Continue reading Exploring Media and Materials at Fishtown Rec
Junior Duck Stamp Contest 2018! Brought to you by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Locally hosted by John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum Art Sphere Inc helped engage … Continue reading Junior Duck Stamp Contest: It was tough, but our votes are in!
April 3th to May 9th *April 3rd 10 am-12 pm Orientation, 3:00 pm -4:30 pm Southwark teachers classroom visit Our office is closed early Thursday April 19- Friday April 20 … Continue reading ASI Spring Program Schedule 2018