Belize is the only country in the world with a nature sanctuary dedicated to preserving Jaguar, a protected area called the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary and Jaguar Preserve.
The Great Blue Hole, an undersea sinkhole about 60 miles off the coast, is one of the top diving destinations in the world.
Belize is in North America, with a population of four hundred thousand people. Its capital is Belmopan, and their currency is Belize Dollar(BZD). The official language in Belize is English.
They celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- George Price Day (Jan 15)
- National Heroes and Benefactors Day (Date Varies)
- Good Friday (Date Varies)
- Holy Saturday (Date Varies)
- Easter Monday (Date Varies)
- Labour Day (Date Varies)
- Sovereign’s Day/Commonwealth Day (Date Varies)
- Emancipation Day (Aug 1)
- St. George’s Caye Day (Sep 10)
- Independence Day (Sep 21)
- Garifuna Settlement Day (Nov 19)
- Christmas Day (Dec 25)
- Boxing Day (Date Varies)
It has only one world heritage site which is the Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System.
It also has 13 national parks including:
- Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve
- Billy Barquedier National Park
- Chiquibul National Park
- Community Baboon Sanctuary
Want to learn more? Check out Belize’s tourism website!