Azerbaijan is a small country compared to the other larger countries it shares borders with, such as Turkey, Iran and Russia.
Neft Dashlar (Oily Rocks) is the first and largest town on stilts to be constructed at sea. It is located in the Caspian Sea and was built in phases after 1947.
Azerbaijan is in Transcaucasia, with a population of 10.62 million people. Its capital is Baku, and their currency is the Manat(AZN). The official language is Azerbaijanian.
Azerbaijan celebrate many holidays including:
- New Year’s Day (Jan 1)
- Martyrs Day Holiday (Date Varies)
- Women’s Day (Date Varies)
- Norvuz Holiday (Date Varies)
- Victory Day (Date Varies)
- Ramazan Bayrami (Date Varies)
- Republic Day (Date Varies)
- National Salvation Day (Date Varies)
- Armed Forces Day (Date Varies)
- Flag Day (Nov 9)
Want to learn more? Check out Azerbaijan’s tourism website.
They have three world heritage sites:
- Gobustan Rock Art Cultural Landscape
- Historic Centre of Sheki with the Khans Palace
- Walled City of Baku with the Shirvanshah’s Palace and Maiden Tower
It also has ten national parks including: