Afghanistan has a history of more than 6,000 years, with many historical sights and attractions.
Afghanistan is a land-locked nation, bordered by Pakistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. The very eastern tip also shares a short border with China.
It is located in South Central Asia, with a population of 33.11 million people. Its capital is Kabul, and their currency is the Afghani(AF). The official languages are Dari, Pashto, Uzbek, Turkmen, Balochi, Nuristani, Pashai and Pamiri.
Afghanistan celebrates 16 holidays including:
- Liberation Day (Feb 15)
- Nowrooz Holiday (Mar 21 – 22)
- Ramadan (Date Varies)
- Mujahideen Victory Day (Apr 28)
- Labour Day (May 1)
- Eid al – Fitr Holiday (Date Varies)
- Day of Arafa (Date Varies)
- Eid Al Adha Holiday (Date Varies)
- Ashura (Date Varies)
- Independence Day (Date Varies)
They have two world heritage sites:
- Cultural Landscape and Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley
- Minaret and Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley
Afghanistan has 8 national parks including:
- Band-e Amir National Park
- Wakhan National Park
- Kol-e-Hashmat Khan wetland in Kabul
- Bamiyan Plateau
- Forests of eastern Nuristan province
Want to learn more? Check out Afghanistan’s tourism website.